Sunday, October 18, 2009

Girlfriend vs. I want to be your boyfriend. 2007 comparing to the 1970s?



Girlfriend-Avril Lavigne
"hey, hey, you, you, I dont like your girlfriend
no way, no way, i think you need a new one
hey, hey, you, you, I can be your girlfriend"

I Want to be your Boyfriend-The Rubinoos
"hey, you, I wanna be your boyfriend
trying to say I wanna be your number one
hey, you, I wanna be your boyfriend
gonna make you love me before i'm done"

Hello fellow bloggers. Copyright one of the worst things a singer or even a celebrity in general can do. Number one it can basically ruin your career if you take all the credit out of that song and refuse that it is someone else's song or idea. Number two you just don't do that it is of course illegal and others can press a lawsuit against you. And number three can't you just do your own thing not take other ideas, be creative; its not cool taking something that is not yours.

However, everyone has the ability to sue anyone for stealing their idea without giving some profit or letting others know that it's not their own idea. One case that is still a controversy is Avril Lavigne singing her hit single "Girlfriend" and The Rubinoos with their own song "I want to be your boyfriend." Tommy Dubar which is the founder of the band The Rubinoos claim that the young and "talented" singer Avril Lavigne's track "Girlfriend" shares a lot of resemblance to The Rubinoos song "I want to be your boyfriend." Avril claims that she has never even heard of that song or the BAND, so how can she copy it when she's never heard of anything about The Rubinoos. In my own opinion, I'm not a big fan of Avril Lavigne, I don't enjoy any of her music and I just don't enjoy her in general. But I strongly think that the two songs sound nothing alike and come to think of it I actually believe what Avril Lavigne has quoted about not taking anything from anyone and not ripping off anyone. Although both songs are singing about similar things such as Avril singing about telling a guy that he needs a new girlfriend and she can be his girlfriend. The Rubinoos are singing about wanting to be a boyfriend to one of his friends. The chorus of each song do sound a lot of like with the same type of beat going on. But come on, The Rubinoo was when? From the 1970s and Avril Lavigne's single is from 2007, there is obviously going to be a large difference in the beat, speed, rhythm and everything about it. "Girlfriend" speed is more quicker and upbeat compared to "I want to be your boyfriend" I really believe none of it sound alike although they do have the same concept, they don't sound alike and I once again strongly believe Avril Lavigne and I am not a fan of hers. In my own opinion, I think she somewhat broke the copyright conduct because as a singer you should always know about other songs out there that may sound familiar to yours meaning be aware. To some standards I think Avril Lavigne did plagiarize because she did use another singer's idea without giving them credit. I really do not think this will affect her image either if she is guilty or innocent because this song is very popular for example it had the most views on it's video about 127 million views and she also had very many other songs that people would listen to and sing along with. She is and always will be known for her "I don't care what other people think" ways.

2 comments:

  1. good job sarah i love the way you write, your thoughts are well... good job :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totalllly agree with jas!
    I really admire your blogs <33

    ReplyDelete